Over the past few weeks several residents have approached the board of directors to voice their concerns regarding:
- Geese causing landscaping damage.
- Goose droppings on the trail and homeowner yards.
- Aggressive goose behavior on the trail (hissing/charging pedestrians)
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife strongly discourages feeding wildlife. The list below is from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website.
- Human food is not good for the geese because it lacks proper nutritional value.
- Feeding attracts more geese than the area can support naturally.
- Geese droppings harbor parasites that can cause human health problems.
- Goose droppings increase algae growth that results in fish kills.
The Board of Directors appreciates everyone’s cooperation in not feeding the wildlife at Shelley Lake to keep the wildlife as healthy as possible.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/branta-canadensis#conflict (If you are having landscaping damage due to the geese this page has a “Preventing Conflict” section that offers gentle deterrence advise.)